Thursday, October 28, 2010

12 months today

This time 12 months ago, I was lying on a really uncomfortable hospital bed, waiting to be wheeled to surgery. I was having a THR done. Was something that I had been prepared for as long as I remember, that this day would come. So I was lying there thinking about how this was going to change my life, no more crutches, no more painkillers, and being unable to drive, in case I fell asleep. But the biggest thing was the thought of being able to get my own socks, shoes and pants on. I wouldn't need to ask DH, or worse still the kids anymore


And in that 12 months, I've made a complete transformation, I am no longer the person I was. With having the op and the lead up to it, I changed my life. Not only can I say that I can now put my own socks and shoes on, but I can also cut my own toenails, I have zero pain. I can go to gym and do a back to back workout, and be able to walk the next day, and not have to dose up on pain relief.

I've also made a mental and emotional change too. I've got rid of all the negative people and things that were bringing me down, out of my life. I have discovered a whole new support network, who have been there for me throughout this whole journey. With no conditions, or no games or negativity that I previously had to deal with. I was diagnosed with depression earlier this year, but through hard work, I have managed to get off meds now. And I have never felt better in my life.

I went back to work and study about 3 months ago. Went to put in a resume for some casual work, walked out with a traineeship, and a great job, that I'm loving. And will have the opportunity to go onto more study and more qualifications if I want too.


So in a short 12 months, my life has completely changed, so much for the better. I can't believe how much that has happened, and how much I've achieved. So in general life is just fan-bloody-tastic right now. I have great family, great friends and just a great life.

Am so glad, that I took that first scary step of standing up and telling people I was coping with the hip anymore and that finally after 32 years, it was time to do something about it.






Mel

xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment